Alpine Linux tutorias and howtos
Where to start? you will need check if you have enought Linux terminology knowledge, but **if you are impatient and want an Alpine ready touse in 1 hour check ** .. this link: alpine XFCE desktop if you want to avoid the explanations and just go all the way. For the wayland fashioned desktop try the guide alpine tutorial desktop wayland but Wayland is not recommended due several issues and X11 its more widelly working.
TUTORIALS AND HOWTOS
The tutorials are hands-on docs expected to try and achieve the goals described in each step, possibly with the help of a good example. The output in one step is the starting point for the following steps.
The Howtos are smaller articles explaining how to perform a particular task with Alpine Linux, that expects a minimal knowledge from reader to perform actions.
The Guides are fast documents with only direct ways to do a particular task with Alpine Linux, that expects a minimal knowledge from reader to perform actions.
- Common methods for computers:
- Serial console and sepcial devices:
- Networking setup, wifi or PXE boots:
- Complete desktops, means the programs are integrated and sync using XDG desktop compliant environment:
- Window managers means the desktop its not integrated, each program has their own environment but can tuned:
- Openbox desktop guide: alpine-tutorial-desktops-openbox-fast-forward.md
- At the point of 2022/v3.16 all the gvfs handlers are broken in Alpine
- Alpine its not stable to use as desktop, developers only solve issues to current or mayor version upgrades, not LTS due "community" nature of packages
- server-alpine-LAMP-professional-fast-forward.md (this one includes apache2+ssl+php+odbc+postgres+mysql)
Convention for naming the files:
- each one must started with the word "alpine" unless are just a extra document like the androit external apps
- must be followed "tutorial" or "guide" or "howto"
- rest of the name can be whatever and do not have spaces.. each word must be separated with "-"
- the name must not contains any simbol or space, only numbers and letters and "-" are allowed
- the extension of the file must be ".md"
- you can upload extra support files like scripts shell or photos
- the name of each extra files must be same as the document and extra word to idetify
CONSIDERATIONS: Please check the Feature Differences OF ALPINE LINUX but those are the main ones you should considering before usage of Alpine linux:
- Alpine Linux is designed for power users, with security and simplicity in mind.
- Alpine Linux is not for newbies most knowed as new baby users or windosers.
- It is built around musl libc, not glibc, which means there might be incompatibilites with some packages
- Its main utilities (coreutils) are derived from busybox and suckless, so all commands are pretty simplistic
- Manners, you will must have a vocation for reading and analysis.
- Time, you will need time, cos you will need to read a lot!
- Computer, you should have a pc, or phone, and must have a UNIX like operating system, like MAC/IOS or Androit/Linux
- Internet, and minimal bandwitch of internet network..
Help online directly
- 🗯 IRC
- 📱 Telegram https://t.me/alpine_linux
- 🇬🇧 https://t.me/alpine_linux_english
- 🇷🇺 https://t.me/alpine_linux_pycckuu (dual english russian, low activity)
- 🇨🇴 https://t.me/alpine_linux_espanol
- 🇧🇬 https://t.me/alpine_linux_bulgarian (dual english bulgarian, low activity)
- 🇨🇳 https://t.me/alpine_linux_chinese (dual english chinese, low activity)
- 📡 https://t.me/opentechnologies (open languajes but english as main)
- ⛓ Matrix
CC BY-NC-SA: this project allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format for noncommercial purposes only, and only so long as attribution is given to the creators involved. If you remix, adapt, or build upon the material, you must license the modified material under identical terms, includes the following elements:
- BY – Credit must be given to the creator of each content respectivelly, starting at the first contributor.
- NC – Only noncommercial uses of the work are permitted, with exceptions if you fill an issue here!
- SA – Adaptations must be shared under the same terms, you must obey this terms and do not change it.
For more information check the ../alpine/copyright.md